Here’s a newsletter snippet from Lifemark in New Zealand about how everyone needs universal design so that everyday tasks could be more convenient for everyone.
“You have most likely heard about Universal Design, we see this term used in a lot of different areas but you probably think it’s irrelevant to you… well maybe not. Universal Design can help you during every moment of your life without you even realising it. Here are a few examples: ▫
- Your wide garage will make getting the kids, car seats and buggy in and out of the car easy and risk free – no paint scratches on the walls from opened car doors.
- You will be able to open any doors even if both of your hands are full, because of your easy to operate lever door handles. ▫
- If your hands are dirty, you’ll still be able to use the lever tap without making a mess. ▫
- Plugging in the vacuum cleaner won’t strain your back because the power socket is higher up the wall. ▫
- You will access your kitchen utensils/crockery because none of the drawers will be too high or too low and you’ll be able to open every drawer with one little push of your hand/knee.
See Lifemark website for the full blog post.