What does the international research on accessible nature-based tourism say? That’s what researchers in Sweden checked out. Nine major themes emerged:
- employee attitudes towards people with disability
- accessibility of tourism websites and information systems
- accessible transportation, accommodation and tourist attractions
- technical solutions
- experience, motivations and constraints in tourism settings for people with disability
- tourism for the families and carers of people with disability
- tourism and leisure activities for older people
- the accessible tourism market
- nature-based tourism and outdoor recreation
This review found that existing research took the perspective of the consumer rather than the tourism operator. The report goes into more detail on the nine factors. It includes evidence from USA, Europe, UK and Sweden. The title of the report is, Enhancing Accessibility in Tourism & Outdoor Recreation: A Review of Major Research Themes and a Glance at Best Practice.
An very academic article, but with important findings. The key point – we need more research on businesses rather than consumers.