A guide to taking a universal design approach to urban planning covers just about everything. The aim of the guide is to deliver sustainable solutions and to create inclusive places. Here are some of the reasons planners should take a UD approach:
- It avoids the need for wasteful and inefficient retro-fitting of solutions
- It informs genuinely integrated strategies for land-use, transportation and urban design
- It creates greater efficiencies for public infrastructure investment
- It widens the audience and market for development projects enhancing commercial viability
- It helps provide an environment in which people can age and retain their independence
Although this guide is based on planning laws in Ireland, there are many similarities to other jurisdictions. It covers, consultation, neighbourhoods, community facilities, lifetime homes, travel chain analysis, street design, car parking, economic development, wayfinding, heritage and more. There are also sample policy statements for each section.
Once again, a really comprehensive guide from Centre for Excellence in Universal Design in Ireland.
The title of the guide is, Building for Everyone: A Universal Design Approach – Planning and policy.